2007-09-13

Simulating profiles with Echomixer

Echomixer is a mixer control utility for Echo Audio sound interfaces (I have a Gina24 PCI) on Linux. These cards have quite a few settings to control, and don't seem to fit into the generic controller approach taken by alsamixer.

AFAICT, Echomixer doesn’t support anything like a profile or the loading of a specific settings file: it always uses the file ~/.Emixer_Gina24. I would like to be able to configure the card for different applications, such as multitrack recording, gaming, playing a DVD, etc. For example, for DVD playback, I want to use the internal audio clock so that the sampling rate can be set exactly, without the need to resample the audio (e.g. for 46.08 kHz audio playback for 24 FPS movies deployed as 25 FPS PAL @ 48 kHz), with the PCM output level at 0 dB. For multitrack recording, I want to use the external ADAT clock so I can record the additional 8 channels I have on a chained ADAT interface, with the PCM output level at around -9 dB so I can hear live stuff easily over the backing tracks.

TODO: details, scripts, etc.

Bah, only it looks like Echomixer doesn’t save the clock source in its settings file. Dang.

No comments: